Q. Can I appeal against fines on my library account?
Fine appeals will only be accepted by this route. Please give as much information as possible to help us make our decision.
Senior Library and Learning Resources Staff will consider your appeal and you will be notified of the decision within 2 working days to the email address you give on the form. This decision will be final.
Please note the following items are not valid reasons for appeal:
- Not knowing about the library loan rules and fines. These are available on our website.
- Disagreeing with the library loans or fines policy. We always welcome feedback on our policies and services for the future but in choosing to borrow items from us the borrower is agreeing to accept the current rules under which those items are loaned.
- Not receiving (or not reading) email reminders that items were soon to be overdue or were overdue. These email notices are sent as a courtesy and we cannot guarantee that there will never be any email issue affecting them. It is the borrower’s responsibility to remain aware of the return date for their items
- Forgetting the return date of items. It is the borrower’s responsibility to remain aware of these dates. You can check your library account online. Please note that if an item is reserved (“on hold”) for another borrower then we won’t be able to renew it further. If you retain a book that is ‘on hold’ beyond your return date then you will incur a fine
- Having lent the item in question to another person. Return of items is the responsibility of the borrower.
- Absence from London. E.g. out of town, on vacation, on placement/field trip, overseas.
- Lack of access to internet. You can contact us in person or by phoning us on 020 7815 6607 for information about the due date of your loans
Please note that you cannot appeal fines incurred more than 12 months ago unless you have been away due to a formal interruption of your studies.